13 January 2012 - 7.00AM
The MNZ salvage unit observation flight this morning has confirmed no significant change to the state of the two parts of the Rena.
- The team also noted a light sheen of oil continuing to come from the wreck.
- There are winds gusting at around 25 knots out at the Astrolabe Reef this morning, and rough sea conditions. Winds are forecast to reach up to 35 knots today with maximum wave heights of up to 5m.
- Shoreline Clean-up Assessment Teams were working from Pukehina to Matata from first light this morning. As at 7am, they have not sighted any fresh oil from overnight. One packet of milk powder has been found at Matata.
- Oil spill response teams and container recovery teams are ready to respond to any reports of fresh oil or debris coming ashore overnight or during the day today.
- Container recovery and oil spill response work will continue today, and wildlife teams will be out checking for any affected wildlife.
- Community meetings will be held at the Maketu Fire Station at 2pm and Pukehina Beach Community Centre at 4pm today.
- Please note the 3pm press conference will be held outside the incident command centre in the old Foodtown on the corner of Cameron Road and Fourteenth Ave today.
- Two community briefings will be held totoday at Maketu at 2pm at Maketu Fire Station, Wilson Road, and at Pukehina at 4pm at Pukehina Beach Community Centre, 16 Pukehina Parade